Total Pageviews

Summer is here!



My first Ottobre project for the year is finally finished. I knew I wanted to make this garment the moment I saw it in the magazine. I just wish I could have found the same fabric. The european fabrics are gorgeous, but so expensive. Oh well, I made this test project, and it was incredibly easy and fast to sew. I can only recommend it.

I am working on some ideas for my niece whose birthday is right around the corner. She is a very big girl for her age, so I tried a size 74. I find the top to be a bit small, so I will have to make it again.

Construction:
I had a hard time figuring out how to shirr, but thanks to the girls in the Ottobre group, I was told exactly how to get it done. They told me to buy some elastic thread and slowly wind it around the bobbin, pulling a bit as a I go. Then just sew. So sew I did, and then I steamed the fabric, and wow, I had a shirred garment. It was so pretty. It immediately got me to think how much I am going to like this pattern, and how many different things I am going to do with it.
I did not like the straps too much. The idea is great, but no matter how perfectly a did a rolled hem, the ends always looked unfinished. Maybe someone can give me some advice regarding the ties and how to finish them off. I would also extend the ties by about an inch on each end. Other then that, the pattern went together very easy.

II picked this fabric up in Joann's and decided to use it because it matched a pink and white stripe fabric that I found at Sewzannes (which by the way is so Ralph Lauren and beautiful to touch). I a

1 comments:

Unknown 12:53 PM  

I had the same prob with the ties, so I ended up making a facing(?) by sewing a second layer onto the ends and turning the ends inside-out. When I folded and topstiched the binding, I sewed up to the open end of my facing and caught the ends with the topstitching. It gave the ties a nice finished look and didn't add much bulk because my fabric was really lightweight. Hope this helps.

P.S. I saw the link to your blog on the Ottobre list.

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP